Ultrasound and a cat scan of a liver done. Found mass in liver. Prognosis?

My husband just had an ultra sound and a catscan of his liver... they found a 14.4cm size mass XXXXXXX in the liver. He is having a biopsy on Friday. What in your opinion is the prognosis?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 45 minutes later

Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic with your query.

a 14.4 cm large mass in liver is a very big mass. Obviously it is some tumor. Now the prognosis of any tumor depends on whether it is benign or malignant. Whether it is resectable or not. What is its relation to other surrounding structures. These information are not available to me, hence I am not equipped to answer your question about prognosis.

CT scan must have certainly provided some clue about the benign or malignant nature of the mass. But only biopsy can truely decide about the nature of this mass. Hence we shall have to wait for the biopsy before knowing what it is and what is its prognosis. Do you know if his HBsAg and anti-HCV status has been done or not. Also what is his AFP levels.

Please get back to me with these information if you have.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal