Ultrasonography showed normal size liver, no dialation of intra extra hepatic billiary duct. Is this serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Doctor, my Ultrasonography shows 'Liver normal in size and increased in echotexture,No focal lesion seen,No dialation of intra extra hepatic billiary duct.Portal vein appears normal'.May i know what does it means?is ther anything serious?
I dont have any health issues. This report was based on a normal medical checkup.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Are you a drinker?

Your Ultrasound imaging is absolutely normal except increased echotexture.
Increased echotexture could be due to deposition of fat in liver which is called as "Fatty liver".

Liver size is 12-15 cm is considered as normal, beyond that it is labelled as liver enlargement.
Obstructive jaundice at liver or common bile duct level may cause dilatation of intra/ extra hepatic biliary ducts; normal in your case.

Portal vein up to 12 cm is considered as normal and portal hypertension has been labelled beyond 14 cm.

So overall your ultrasound imaging is considered as normal.

You should also go for liver function test for fatty liver.
You should reduce your weight (if overweight) and take low fat diet.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Ultrasonography showed normal size liver, no dialation of intra extra hepatic billiary duct. Is this serious? 20 hours later
Thanks For ur reply, For further details i am sending the reports(LFT and Cholestrol)
I use to Have drinks,Weekdays(1-2)for 3days and Weekends(3-4)for 3days . I am 165cm Height and 69kg weight.What could be the healthy Drinking Limits for me with this diagnostics.
Bio Chemistry
Lipid profile
Total Cholesterol- 226 (130-200)
Serum tryglycerides-188 (60-170)
HDL Cholesterol- 49 (30-70)
LDL Cholesterol- 140 (60-130)
VLDL Cholesterol- 37 (10-40)
T.Chole:HDL Chole- 4.6:1 (5:1)

LFT
Tot Bilirubin- 0.9 (0.2-1.0)
Dir Bilirubin- 0.3 (0.0- 0.4)
indirect Bilirubin-0.6
Tot protein - 7.0 (6.0-8.0)
Albumin -4.0 (3.5-4.5)
Globulin - 3.0( 2.3-3.6)
A/G Ratio - 1.3:1 (1.0:2.3)
SGOT -63U/L (up to 46)
SGPT -175U/L (up to 47)
Alkaline Phosphate 105(100-290)
Gama GT -28 (11-50)
Thanks in Advance. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
Your BMI (basal metabolic rate) is 25.36 which is slightly higher than normal limit for a normal male.
Your LFT is normal except SGOT/ SGPT which could be due to fatty liver due to slight overweight or due to alcohol.
You should reduce your weight and should avoid alcohol.
If you want to take alcohol then you should take only 2 days in a week.

Do you have positive family history of early heart disease? (Early heart disease is considered in female <65 years and in male <55 years).

Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.
Smoking, age > 45 years, sedentary life, first degree relative with positive early heart disease 140/90 mm Hg, Diabetes are considered as risk factors.

Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW
As you have only one risk factor, your LDL must be below 160 mg%.
Your LDL is 140 mg% and as such there is no need of anti lipid lowering medicines.

You should take low fat diet and go for regular lipid profile at 4-6 months interval for progress.
You should continue brisk exercise 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days in a week.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava