USG that said mildly fatty liver. For how long i can continue udiliv?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had a USG done almost a year back and that said , Mildly fatty liver. The doctor had prescribed Udiliv 300 twice a day. I've visited doctor on number of occasions and he says this is fine. You need to take this medicine for long term.

I've been taking it for almost a year now.

1.Is this fine to continue this for long term.
2. How long can i keep taking this.
Just to add I am a non-smoker and non-alchohoilc.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

Udiliv is a medication used to dissolve gall stones. It contains bile acids. Fatty liver is a condition wherein there is a abnormal functioning of hepatocytes. In your case I would not have suggested Udiliv as its action may not be useful.

If you were my patient, I prefer 'sorbiline' which is taken with a glass of XXXXXXX warm water in the morning on empty stomach for a period of at least 6 months. This should be accompanied by a short course of hepa merz tablets in the recommended doses for 21 days. Your doctor will know about this medicines.

Avoid fatty foods or extra XXXXXXX foods. I appreciate the fact that you neither smoke nor consume alcohol, maintain it.

Do not take any medicines without the knowledge of your doctor e.g: herbal, ayurvedic etc as any medicine can potentially alter the function of the liver.

You can also discuss with your doctor about repeating Ultrasound scan of the Abdomen. Serum liver function tests along with lipid profile also to be repeated.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any follow up questions.
Follow-up: USG that said mildly fatty liver. For how long i can continue udiliv? 47 minutes later
Then should i immediately stop Udiliv and connect with a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

Thanks for reverting back.

My suggestion would be to stop Udiliv immediately after consulting your doctor, as it is not going to be of any benefit.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.