USG of upper abdomen showed lobes show mild enlargement and mild diffuse fatty infiltration. What can this be?

Feb 2013

I have recently done an usg of upper abdomen and I have developed some complications in my lever.The report says:-"The lobes show mild enlargement and mild diffuse fatty infiltration.No focal lesion seen.The intra vascular and biliary radicles appear normal".I am non-alcoholic but a bit bulky in shape.I excercise regularly.Please help.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The ultrasound of your abdomen is suggestive of mild enlargement of the liver with mild diffuse fatty infiltration. It is known as fatty liver.

This condition is known as nonalcoholic fatty liver.

This condition is seen in people who are overweight, These people often have high cholesterol or triglycerides and diabetes or insulin resistance (prediabetes).

Other causes of fatty liver are medications, viral hepatitis, and malnutrition.

I advise you to reduce your body weight in a healthy way by continuing exercises.

Consult the physician / gastroenterologist for physical examination and further investigations like liver function tests, blood sugars, and lipid profile to rule out any underlying predisposing causes.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.