UIP lung disease confirmed by CAT scan. What is the life expectancy? Is lung transplant an option?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My best friends son is suspected of having UIP Lung Disease, the cat scans pretty much confirmed this however they are waiting the results of a lung biopsy. He is 31 and in otherwise good health. What is the life expectancy of someone diagnosed with this disease and is a lung transplant an option?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later

If the lung biopsy confirms the diagnosis then the prognosis depends on the overall spread of the disease and the extent of lung scarring.

If it is associated with arthritis then the 5-year survival rate is better.

The exact life expectancy is difficult to assess as it depends on various factors and varies from person to person.

The treating physician can best assess the prognosis after a detailed examination and investigations.
Lung transplant is a treatment option which you can discuss with his physician.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.