Typhoid. High temperature after medicine

Question
Hi, my twins babies 2.3yr old dedected typhoid on 2nd of May, after medicine still their body temperature is 100 degree...?Is temperature remain there for some time in typhoid and how much time it will take to be normal again
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. The incubation period of typhoid is 10-20 days and is divided in two phases. In the first phase, temperature rises gradually to 40ºC and is accompanied by sweating, no appetite, coughing and headache. This phase lasts for a week. Then the second phase starts in which the fever remains very high and the pulse becomes weak and rapid. In this phase the constipation is replaced by severe pea-soup-like diarrhea and fever may be present for 1 week to 10 days. It's not until the fourth or fifth week that the fever drops and the general condition slowly improves.

Please follow up with your twins’ pediatrician and continue giving the antibiotics and antipyretic drugs for fever that the doctors have prescribed. Also give plenty of fluids to avoid any dehydration and give them a light easy to digest diet. Also Clean toilets, door handles, telephone receivers and water taps with a household cleaner to avoid any spread. Wash your hands and other family members' hands frequently.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Typhoid. High temperature after medicine 3 hours later
Thanks Dr.
One more query, they didn't get much of the mother's feed.I think that is one of the reason of there poor immunity.Any sudden change they are the first to catch the fever.How to improve their immunity & health.

Thanks,
Vivek

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

To improve their immunity, give them a healthy nutritious diet containing eggs, fresh vegetables, fruits, meat products and cereals. Also get them regular vaccinated as per schedule and make them drink plenty of water so as to flush out the toxins from the body.

They should maintain a good hygiene and as far as possible eat freshly prepared home based foods. Also avoid giving unnecessary antibiotics without a medical supervision. A good amount of rest is important for the immune system in your children. It is recommended that children in preschool sleep between 11 to 13 hours a day, while early elementary children should sleep 10 to 11 hours a day.