Two month old having high TSH levels. What to do?

My two month old baby have tsh it normal or need to worry
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Your 2 month old baby has TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) value of 11.5µU/ml.

Normally TSH can vary between 1.3 and 16 micro units per milliliter of blood in new born. After about a month, this range narrows to 0.9 to 7.7 microunits per milliliter.

So 11.5 come above the normal range. He might be suffering from Hypothyroidism.

It should however be tested with T3 and T4 levels. All these tests together can help a physician identify exactly where a problem occurs in a patient suffering from abnormal thyroid function tests. So do not worry, it can be treated but it should be done at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.