Two ileums found in small bowel follow through study,CAT scan normal

I had a small bowel follow through study today and they called the Radiologist in to look at my study. He then did a video xray and stated that he had never seen this before - two ileums. I had a cat scan last week and they said that was normal. Wouldn't they have seen that and is there something else it could be. I can't find any information on having two ileums.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

I think we are currently speaking about enteric duplication (two ileums). They are really rare and not much literature is available on these. I have few important questions to post after my general view. Most small duplications are cystic or tubular duplication, of which cysts are more common. The tube usually communicate with the lumen. Almost all duplications are due to the lack of normal recanalization.

Please do answer the following:

1. Why was the small bowel follow through study done?

2. Also, Why was the CAT scan done?

3. May I know the details of your complaints for which these investigations were done?

4. Also, Is there any significant past surgical or medical history?

Also, please send across scanned reports and films of your CAT scan and the small bowel follow through study report. You can upload these on the right side of the query page. There is an option for uploading reports here. (or) You can also mail it across to YYYY@YYYY with subject as ATTENTION TO Dr. Shanthi. I will get it verfied with Gastroenterologist / Radiologist and write to you.

The possibilities can be discussed accordingly.

Awaiting your response.