Twitching sensation on lower right abdomen. Had lower back pain. Reason?

I have had lower back pain for several months now, for the last month the pain has traveled around to my front left for the past week to current I have had an annoying/ flutter/twitching sensation n my lower right abdomen... what is this?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later

Based on the information provided you are probably suffering from chronic backache.

I would like to know a few more details regarding your problem, so that I can help you better.

1. What is your age & gender? (because the causes of lower backache radiating to abdomen is different in males & females)
2. Are you an athlete?
3. Details of any past illness or surgery?
4. Was any tests like X-ray, MRI, Bone scan or Blood tests done?( usually done if the pain lasts more than a month)

Anyways I will list you a few common causes of chronic lower back pain

Osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis (both usually caused as age increases), Spondylolisthesis (defect that allows one vertebra to slide over another), unnoticed fractures of the vertebrae, Spinal deformities (like severe scoliosis or kyphosis), Compression fractures(these are more common among post-menopausal women and in men or women after long-term corticosteroid use)

Finally coming to the problem of pain radiating to abdomen recently, there could associated kidney stones or gynaecological problems like ovarian cysts, pelvic inflammatory disease etc, a simple ultrasound abdomen will help in diagnosis of such conditions.

I would advise you to consult a orthopedician so that he can investigate you thoroughly and make a diagnosis & start treating you accordingly.

Hope the information was useful. I am happy to help you with any further queries in this regard.

Take care,

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD