Twitching in the head near the ear. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a twitching on the right side of my head between my right ear and temple any idea on a cause it happens when I sleep mostly but at work today at 10am est it started
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later

Twitching on one side of the head are small, local, involuntary muscle contractions and relaxations visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Twitches have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign. Most commonly it happens due to stress and anxiety, excessive caffeine intake, an endocrine or an electrolyte deficiency.

Decreasing coke intake, XXXXXXX breathing relaxation exercises, taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids and vitamin B complex supplements do resolve most of such twitches.

In case the twitches are persistent then you might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal, further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.