Twitching cheeks when smiling or when anxious

My cheeks seem to twitch when I smile manly when I'm anxious but sometimes happens when I smile thinking if it's gonna happen or not I'm 25 f mother if two boys
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The twitching is commonly seen in smaller muscles. Such twitches are due to unstimulated excitement of the nerve supplying that muscle. This kind of auto-stimulation is due to weakness in the nerve leading to defective conduction and defective firing.

It is a very common condition and is self limiting .Most of times it disappears when neglected or on its own within 4 or 6 months.Taking Multivitamin supplements containing Vit B12 (Cobalamine) helps faster recovery.

If such twitches stay for long more than 6 months or so then there would be a need for you to consult a neurologist to find out the underlying cause after examining in detail.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Twitching cheeks when smiling or when anxious 35 minutes later
Thank u I'll try vitamin b12 but I've noticed it at times of anxiety which I've been dealing with since the birth of my second child
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later
Hi again,

Anxiety is one stressful condition which releases a lot of adrenaline into the blood which can cause such twitches to be aggravated. This phenomenon is common and is insignificant in knowing the underlying cause.

Also such weakness in nerves are most of times encountered post child birth . Due to hormonal and nutritional imbalances.They usually resolve on their own over time.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.