Trying to quit smoking due to hypertension and high blood pressure. What do you suggest?

I had a sudden onset of high blood pressure about 2 yrs ago and was diagnosed with hypertension. Im on meds for it and its still not controlled. None of my doctors have been able to find out why at my age this is going on. Im pretty healthy otherwise other than GERD and innappropriate sinus tachycardia per my recent EP study and adrenaline sensitivity. My bp readings were as high as 200/120 when diagnosed and still the numbers go up to the 160s systolic and up to 120s diastolic. I have moderate high readings more often than not. I am 5'4 148lbs. Im a smoker but am trying to quit and have 5 or less cigarettes daily for a while now. My doctors do not think either of those things are causing the hypertension although they agree they dont help it. I am looking to find out what direction i need to go in now for some answers and help. I have seen family doctors, cardiologist, and a gi specialist all at some point during the last two years. I was perfectly healthy before this began. I didnt have a single health problem even while i was pregnant. It started when my youngest child was 3-6 months old.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Probably smoking causing high blood pressure... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read through your medical history carefully, and could say that your unique enemy is "SMOKING". You are saying that you have been healthy for a while until your youngest child was near 6 months old. I believe during this time, you have not been smoking. After this time, you might have started smoking again - could you please give your notes on the time when you stopped and re-started smoking? By the passing of time, our body is not able to deal with smoking and its side effect, ceasing to function properly. Moreover, stress or work overload can also cause blood pressure to raise. Therefore, the very first and healthiest thing to do is to stop smoking. I understand it might be difficult, but not impossible. You need to have patience and determination. Hope it answered to your concerns! If you have more inquiries, do not hesitate to contact me again! I'd be glad to assist you further! Dr.Sejdini