Trying to get pregnant. Taking Deepakote, Polaris, Buspin for anxiety. Will it affect in future ?

General Surgeon
I got married 5 months back and trying to get pregnant now.However am taking some anxiety medicines like deepakote,polaris and buspin regularly for a year and my husband too takes tegrital and sizodon.Will this affect in getting pregnant or our future baby.Please advice
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Let me try and explain to you the effects of these drugs on your baby.
The drug Depakote(which contains sodium valproate) that you are taking is known to affect the baby by producing a greater number of birth defects and developmental delays. The liver of the child is also affected.
The drug buspin contains buspirone which is a category B medication. This means that it is probably safe in pregnancy ( as shown by animal studies) but there are no studies available in human beings.
Sizodon contains risperidone which can cause a decrease in the sexual ability or decrease the number of sperms. Tegretol contains carbamazepine which may affect sperm concentration, morphology, and motility
I would suggest that you do not conceive while both of you are receiving these drugs. Please speak with your treating physician about changing the drugs as required.
Hope this helps.