Trying to conceive. Test showed low TSH. Will this cause difficulty in conceiving?

Mar 2013
Hello Doctor,

I am 27 yr old and trying to conceive since last 1 yr. Recently I had taken a test and detected low TSH 3rd Generation (0.046). My doctor said nothing regarding this. Please let me know whether this will create problem in conceiving.? If yes, then please let me know the cure for this.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later

Firstly I have seen the three .jpg files attached, but none of them contain the TSH result mentioned.
They are other non specific tests, which seem to be fine.
Regarding your query on TSH, please try and read and understand the following :

The thyroid gland produces thyroid hormone. When it functions properly, the thyroid is part of a feedback loop with your pituitary gland. First, the pituitary senses the level of thyroid hormone that the thyroid has released into the bloodstream. The pituitary then releases a special messenger hormone, known as "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone" (abbreviated as TSH). The role of TSH is to stimulate the thyroid to release more thyroid hormone.

When the thyroid, for whatever reason -- illness, stress, surgery, obstruction, for example -- does not produce enough thyroid hormone, the pituitary detects this reduction in thyroid hormone, and it moves into action. The pituitary then makes MORE TSH, to help trigger the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone. This is the pituitary's effort to return the system to "normal" and normalize thyroid function.

So, a TSH that is higher than normal suggests a thyroid that is underactive and not doing its job of producing thyroid hormone. So, in general, HIGHER TSH = UNDERACTIVE THYROID / HYPOTHYROIDISM.

If the thyroid is overactive and producing too much thyroid hormone -- due to disease, or taking too high a dose of thyroid hormone replacement drugs -- the pituitary senses that there is too much thyroid hormone circulating. The pituitary then usually slows or shuts down TSH production, so that the thyroid will slow down its production of hormone. This drop in TSH is an attempt to return circulating thyroid hormone levels to normal.

So, a test to measure the amount of TSH in your system will usually show lower than normal TSH when the thyroid is overactive.

During diagnosis, most doctors use the TSH test to evaluate your thyroid function and determine the optimal course of treatment. However, relying solely on TSH -- a pituitary hormone -- without also evaluating the circulating levels of actual thyroid hormones T4 and T3 -- may not be able to detect more subtle thyroid problems, or conditions that are resulting from improper conversion of thyroid hormones. For this reason, I would advice you to get the following measured : T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3, and thyroid antibodies tests.

The normal reference range is approximately 0.5 to 5.0. So levels below 0.5 are considered possible evidence of hyperthyroidism, and levels above 5.0 would be considered possible evidence of hypothyroidism. Patients who have low serum TSH concentrations (<0.5 mU/mL) but normal serum free thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) concentrations,are defined as subclinical hyperthyroidism. The term overt hyperthyroidism refers to patients with elevated levels of free T4, T3, or both, and a subnormal TSH concentration.

Pregnancies complicated by uncontrolled hyperthyroidism may result in higher incidences of:

Spontaneous abortion (miscarriage)
Preterm labor
Low birth-weight babies
Complications of pregnancy, including pre-eclampsia (a condition associated with hypertension, low blood platelet count, protein in the urine and mental changes) and heart failure.

Subclinical hypothyroidism is not associated with any adverse pregnancy outcomes.

So please get back with the complete tests and diagnosis.

I hope I have helped you to understand the concept thoroughly.
Take care, all the best, feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Test showed low TSH. Will this cause difficulty in conceiving? 3 hours later
Thanks doctor,

I have submitted the report of TSH test. I have done ft3 and ft4 test also which is normal. Please go through the report and give advice.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
You have 5 attachments and none of them give me any of the thyroid related reports.
If your T3 and T4 is normal, you are having subclinical hyperthyroidism and there is no cause for worry.
Please consult an endocrinologist anyhow to monitor your levels regularly.