Trying to conceive. Missing period. Pregnancy test showed negative. Could I be pregnant?

Hi There, I am 42 years old and me and my friend are TTC. My last period was Nov 19th, I have taken three HPT and they all were neg. Could I still be pregnant.
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Since your periods are overdue, pregnancy is likely but all your home pregnancy tests are negative. You can be doubly sure by getting a serum beta HCG evaluation done.
If the pregnancy is ruled out and the blood test comes negative then other causes of the delay in periods needs to be considered.
The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause if pregnancy is ruled out.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Missing period. Pregnancy test showed negative. Could I be pregnant? 3 hours later
Thank you for answering my question. So I shouldn't bother taking another HPT, I just need to make an appointment with my OB/GYN Doctor. But if I am pregnant should I be having some type of signs or symptoms. I never been pregnant before so I don't know what to expect. I know every woman body is different, so I might not even experience any signs or symptoms right now. I know that everyone does have morning sickness right away, but some have it later on in their pregnancy. Could you Please advice me if I'm wrong or if some of my facts are true.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Repeating the urine test will not be helpful. You need to consult your gynecologist for proper tests,. The symptoms of pregnancy like nausea, breast tenderness, headache, vaginal discharge, frequent urination, indigestion, etc are all non specific and are not always associated with all the pregnancies. The blood test will help in proper confirmation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.