Trying to conceive. Low progesterone levels. History of miscarriages. Is Duphaston or Natural progesterone cream more efffective?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi am 32 y old ,trying to concieve , I Had history of early misccariage at 6 weeks from last 5 month ago
I did blood test for day 21 last 2 weeks ,it came all ok but progestron show 9 as low by doctor , so she suggest to wait and take another test this month but my question is duphaston helpful for my case or natural progestron cream.?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Duphaston is a synthetic hormone, Dygesterone which mimics the actions of Progesterone.

Duphaston is safe to use while trying to get pregnant, because it is designed to mimic a natural hormone Progesterone that is necessary for a healthy uterine lining. It is often prescribed as a treatment for infertility especially due to Progesterone deficiency and in prevention of miscarriage.

Natural progesterone cream may take long time, may be around 8-12 months to provide optimal hormone levels in Progesterone deficient individuals and have more side effects like spotting, breast tenderness, etc comparatively.

So, if your doctor has advised a specific treatment, go ahead with it after having a XXXXXXX discussion with her.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Low progesterone levels. History of miscarriages. Is Duphaston or Natural progesterone cream more efffective? 34 minutes later
ok thats clear answer, the issue that am concerned about is when to take it day 14 or day 11 and for how long 10 days or 14 days ? , is my case similar to luteal insuffeciency ??
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Yes, Luteal insufficiency leads to inadequate ovarian progesterone production, which in turn results in an incomplete secretory endometrium and ineffective ovum implantation. Dydrogesterone or Duphaston has been shown to increase pregnancy rates when used for such condition.

The usual recommendations for infertility due to luteal insufficiency are:

Daily from day 14 to 25 of the cycle in doses as advised by your doctor. Treatment should be maintained for at least six consecutive cycles. It is advisable to continue treatment for the first few months of pregnancy if there is history of habitual abortion.Its strictly a prescription only drug to be taken as per your gynaecologist's advice.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please press the accept button if you have no further queries.

Wishing you all the best.