Trying to conceive. Difficulty in getting erection. Advice?

Hi Doctor,
Me and my wife were planning a baby from feb 2012. We had a good sex life upto the month when we started planning for the baby. Since we started trying for the baby, i have been unable to get a firm erection for insertion. We have tried now 7-8 times since the last month, and all the time i have been unable to get an erection.

Can you please advise what I could do? Are there any medicines or tests i need to go through?
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 42 minutes later

The problem you are suffering from is called erectile dysfunction or difficulty in getting erection.

The causes of erectile dysfunction are many like anxiety and stress, abuse of nicotine and alcohol, medicines like antidepressants, diseases like diabetes, neurological disorder due to injury to the spine etc.

Here in your case since there is no history of any disease or problems in sexual life in recent past I guess the reason is just anxiety.

I feel you are suffering from severe stress and performance anxiety and it is probably due to desperation for having a baby as you had planned.

Relax and things will improve.

Here are few suggestions which should be helpful:-

-Try to relax and do not concentrate on getting erection,

-Do regular physical exercise like aerobics as it helps reduce stress,

-For few days forget about the thought of sex or having a baby and concentrate on kissing and cuddling and try to enjoy your life,

-Take a break or a small vacation which will help you relax.

If you feel worried please consult a Psychologist for counseling as it will help you.

Presently I would say counseling should help you.

Investigations and medicines may not be required as of now.

In case of any query please write back.

All the best.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Difficulty in getting erection. Advice? 2 hours later
Hi Doc,
thanks for your reply.
Should i look at the option of taking some pills like Viagra which would help?

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
You do not need to take Viagra as this would not be the solution for your present problem.
Currently, your problem has arisen out of excessive anxiety and stress. This is a common condition and the effective treatment would be to relax and reduce your stress levels. XXXXXXX breathing, meditation and yoga will help. If necessary, take the help of a counsellor and I am sure things will improve.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please close this discussion if you do not have any further queries.
All the best.