Tried different supplements to combat dermatitis but it comes back again. Permanent cure?

I've tried so many different supplements to combat this and they'll work for a short time but then it comes back and what I thought was working no longer seems to be effective. I've changed my diet, cut down the processed foods,
I'm at a loss for whats next
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please mention your skin concern elaborately.

Detailed Answer:
From your description, I have not been able to figure out your main skin concern.
But you have mentioned two skin concerns

Herpes episodes- as these are quite occasional, you definitely do not need oral acyclovir. However prior to development of lesions one may have slight tingling numbness, itching, dryness at the area. At this stage, if acyclovir cream is used it would prevent blisters from developing.

Testosterone supplements can lead to oily skin. If you are not using testosterone for some medical condition, you may stop it. But if its use is clinically indicated, then to reduce oiliness you may follow these
1) use salicylic acid face wash
2) use alcohol free toner
3) apply tretinoin cream in night
This would reduce oiliness to some extent.

If above mentioned has not been your major concern, please me toon the same specifically.

Hope this helped.
Follow-up: Tried different supplements to combat dermatitis but it comes back again. Permanent cure? 4 days later
I thought when my inquiry was regarding sebborrehic dermititis that you new, apparently not, my fault. But that is the main issue, the testosterone is prescribed and the herpes hardly ever surfaces, that was additional info I thought may be relavent to help with your response. I'm trying to reduce the inflammation systemically and would prefer to do so. Applying topicals seems to be a reaction as opposed to prevention. I used to use a tar shampoo which worked well at treating the redness but when I learned that was carcinogenic and stopped using it, the redness returns. My #1 concern is inflammation and how to prevent it.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for mentioning your main concern!
In your previous post, you had mentioned dermatitis but as dermatitis is a broad term encompassing various types, I could not make out what exactly your prime concern was.
Anyways now as I know you have seborrheic dermatitis(SD), it would be easier for me to take the discussion further.
Seborrheic dermatitis is related with seborrhoea or oiliness and as testosterone supplements can increase seborrhoea so indirectly it can flare up seborrheic dermatitis ( SD)too.
But as it has been clinically prescribed to you, so we will have to manage it accordingly.
SD has a fungal cause too.
The treatment prescribed should be such that, it targets all the underlying cause of the disease( antifungals for fungus and steroid for inflammation)

So the treatment plan should be

Use ketoconazole salicylic acid based shampoo alternating it with steroid based shampoo everyday.Keep the shampoo for 10 min and wash off. Plain tar based shampoos may cause irritation but its carcinogenic potential is not seen with shampoo. Even if the risk is there it must be almost negligible.Apply steroid lotion like mometasone lotion or betamethasone lotion over scalp in night . If scalp is too flaky use steroid salicylic acid lotion. Once the flakiness reduces, continue with shampoo twice in a week. The shampoo and steroid lotion would reduce redness, irritation and inflammation.

For body areas use betamethasone or mometasone lotion twice in a day

For face use fluticasone cream either alone or mixed with terbinafine cream twice in a day.

To reduce itching take oral cetirizine

Bathe with a mild soap and apply an emollient immediately after bath.

Once the disease is controlled, use steroid lotion over affected area two days in a week as maintenance therapy. Later on application can be tapered to once in a week. This will control inflammation.

If these steps do not control the disease, one may take oral terbinafine along with oral steroids for few days. As these are prescription drugs, a doctor's prescription is mandatory.
Hope this helped. Take care