Ask a Urologist   »  

Treatment for renal cortical cyst, prostatic cyst and prostatomegaly?

hello sir,
My father has been diagnosed with type 1 left renal cortical cyst of 5.2 cm and 4.1 cm and beside this, he has also been diagnosed with 10 mm prostatic cyst and Grade 1 prostatomegaly, however both kidneys are normal in size. what could be the most effective treatment for this.

Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As per the details you have given, your father is having renal cortical cysts and prostatomegaly. Let me assure you that these renal cortical cysts are common ultrasonogram finding incidentally seen in old ages especially. Most of the time, these renal cortical cysts are asymptomatic and they doesn't cause any problems. Prostatomegaly is also common when the age advances. This condition is known as BPH (Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy).

Coming to the treatment, asymptomatic renal cysts doesn't require any treatment, but serial ultrasonogram is indicated to watch their prognosis. If the renal cortical cyst got infected or if it is malignant, then you should think about the surgical options, recommended by a urologist.
For prostatomegaly grade -1, medical treatment will be sufficient. But over a period of time, if the prostate volume increases and if it become grade 2 or grade3, better to have a surgery from a urologist.

Anyway, I advise you to consult a nephrologist and get done the urine analysis to rule out any infection or haematuria, and follow the instructions of nephrologist and urologist.

I hope this answer will help you a lot.
If any further queries, you are welcome,