Treatment for profuse discharge of tears from eye?

These are the present problems of my father-in-law's eyes:

1.Profuse discharge of tears mainly from right eyes.Aggravated by constant reading/writing or continuous reading/writing for half an hour or more and the vision becomes blurred.He is having this problem for the last about 10 years.

Treatments so far taken (Imphal):
i) For the first time, Dr.Yaima XXXXXXX Eye Specialist(Imphal) did the syringing to clear the blockade in the nerve of tears.Relieved for about 2/3 weeks but again started.
ii) Then another two Eye Specialist of Imphal treated with syringing at different time but the problem of discharge of tears continued.

Dated- 06/12/2011 (Rahman Hospital,Guwahati)
Dr XXXXXXX advised for constant use of glasses and convergence exercise. On his advice my father-in-law took the following medicines:
a) Winofit Cap- cap daily for 6 weeks.
b) Nasivion Nasal Spray- 2 times a day for one week.
c) Hatric (Levocetrizine 5mg)- 1 tab daily for 2 weeks.
d) Aqua tears Eye Drops- 1/2 drops, 3 times daily.
Much relief was there but couldn't cure the discharge of tears.Now the flowing of tears and blurring of vision are increasing. He's unable to do heavy reading or writing.He's however using spectacles.Please give me the right suggestion.

By profession he is an author, writing books (arabic)
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 20 hours later
thanks for sending your query to us.
in case of such watering and discharge repeated syrings are probably not supposed to help.
since your father has been seen by meny doctors ,if there was any blockage syringing would have cleared it.
What is probably missing is that any doctor you see next should look for ectropion of punctum,which happens at this age.
At present what do you have to do is to put in anti biotic and lubricant eye drops and anti biotic ointment daily at bed time.
please do get back to me in case of further quries regarding your father.
Follow-up: Treatment for profuse discharge of tears from eye? 7 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your reply Dr. Misra, and the advice.
whether any surgical treatment require for complete cure for the same.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 36 minutes later

First of all we have to ensure wether the syringing was patent and he could feel the fluid in his throat. If he was able to feel it that means the passage was clear and there was no dacrocystitis. In case the passage was clear and there is no eversion of puncta that means no surgery is required.

If he was not able to feel the fluid in the throat that means the drainage channels are blocked and a surgery known as dacrocystorhinostomy(DCR) is to be done or an Endo DCR is to be performed through nose by an ENT surgeon.

Please tell me if the fluid was able to pass into the throat so that i can guide you further.

Follow-up: Treatment for profuse discharge of tears from eye? 54 minutes later
Hello Dr. Misra, I sincerely thank you for your reply regarding my follow-up queries.

The fluid was unable to pass into the throat.
Please advice what to do next.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
thanks for getting back to us,
This information takes care of one big surgical problem which is called 'nasoor'. Now it is only a surface disorder,which is not being treated correctly as yet.
Basically antibiotic drops and ointment(tobramycin drops4 times a day and ciprofloxin eye ointment daily at bed time )should solve the problem.
Eversion of punctum,if present,would have been commented by the doctors.
please do get back to me in case of any further query .