Treatment for male pattern baldness

Hi Doc I have hair fall problem from past 4 years . It seems that i have male pattern baldness. I have taken treatment from Dr. Batra's clinic for 1 & 1/2 years but it does not work well for me . So i decided to stop there homeopathic treatment . I have consulted a hair transplant doctor for that issue he suggest me to use mintop 5% & finasteride 1mg tab . I did some research on those medicine & found that few articles says taking finasteride for long term may have some sexual side effects like Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence .I am not sure does it really true or not but i found same kind side effects in many articles . So i decided not to go with finasteride for now . By the way i am 26 years old unmarried . I have started using mintop 5% . But it dont work much for me rather flaky skin . Now i did some research on herbal DHT blocker which dont have such side effects , i found saw palmetto . So I decided to use that one . I found amway is selling a product for saw palmatto . Please take a look . I used that product for 2 months with mintop 5% . It really works for me , my hair fall decreased upto 50 % from the previous . Now my question is that as the saw palmatto works for me can I use that product for long term ? I understand that saw palmatto works like to minimize DHT conversion . So can I use that product for long term without any sexual side effects ? Please suggest me your opinion . I have one more question : After using mintop 5% in 6 months i can see recently the hair fall bit increased though i am using mintop 5% regularly . The fair is falling out with white bulb at the end .. any suggestion what is wrong ? Also when i am using mintop i can see much white skin is come out (like dandruff but i am not sure )from my scalp during comb , any suggestion how to fix that ? Thanks XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. You are correct finasteride has side effects like sexual impotence. The substitute to this is saw palmetto. It selectively blocks the action of testosterone on hair follicle and hence is safe to use for long term. Minoxidil is also an excellent product and can be used life long. The white powdery substance is just dry minoxidil, so don't worry about that. Its not dandruff. Sometimes minoxidil increases hair fall but that is transient and the hair are dead. Don't worry about hair fall with white bulb. They are dead hair and will be replaced by new one. Continue the same medication and in addition take tablet follihair daily. This is nutritional supplement. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow-up: Treatment for male pattern baldness 4 hours later
Hi Doc Thanks for your kind suggestion I am using a amway product contain with Biotin ( Do you still suggest me to use follihair in that case ? If yes how do i get that medicine follihair ? Is that available in normal allopathic medical shop with the same name ? I read in some articles which says that saw palmatto also having some side effect in sexual disorder .. Sorry for ask you again but can i still use that saw palmatto for a long term without any side effect ? I am using mintop 5% from past 6mnths . The main hair loss for my case is the crown area .. Mintop decrease my hair loss & i get some regrowth in my front head part . I am still not achieving much hair in my crown area . So i am thinking to do a hair transplant on the crown area . Do you think that i should wait for mintop to work on my crown position or i need to go for a transplant ? As you can see i have already used it for 6 months ... Do you suggest any affordable & good clinic for hair transplant in India ? Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Its safe in long term use Detailed Answer: Hello Yes you can take follihair in addition to biotin. Follihair is amino acid supplement and you can take it in addition to biotin. This tablet is easily available in pharmacy shops. Dont worry you can take saw palmetto for long period, it wont cause you any harm. At one stretch you can take it for an year. Mintop helps in hair regrowth to some extent but is not a permanent solution. The only permanent solution is hair transplant. Various hair transplant centers are there in India. In delhi Dr Bhisen has a good name and in bangalore hair line clinic does a good job. You can contact them as per your wish. Thank you