Treatment for loss of appetite, body pain, nausea, diarrhea and slightly elevated temperature?

My husband has been complaining of loss of appetite and body aches with some nausea and diarrhea for several days. His temperature is slightly elevated for him at 99.3. I am concerned cause we just brought our 3week preemie home from the hospital.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The problem your husband is suffering could be because of a viral or bacterial infection.

As far as your premature baby is concerned transmission can be prevented by proper hand wash. Your husband should not come in contact with the baby till a proper diagnosis and treatment is done. Hand washing by you and other care takers is also important.

New born babies have a very low immunity. Immunity is further low in premature babies. Hence, avoiding the close contact by your husband would prevent the baby from getting infections.

Not all infection spread by contact. Hence, I would consider it wise to get your husband examined and arrive at the diagnosis first followed by treatment at the earliest.

Hope this helps.