Treatment for gastritis

General Surgeon
i was diagnosed with gastritis ,also had bad bloating stomach. doctor put me on librax. for how long would i have to take this medicine ,because i don't like the side effects.i have itchiness and rash and feel very down.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. How was your gastritis diagnosed? Was there gastroscopy done? Librax is not a typical medicine for gastritis. And is not as effective as typical PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). PPIs also cause less side effects and are well tolerable. So instead of Librax, I suggest you to consider Omeprasole, Pantoprasole or other PPI treatment. Gastritis treatment should last a month and after a month gastroscopy should be done if the symptoms are still present. Here is what I suggest you to do: - if there was no gastroscopy, have it at first - if the gastroscopy was done, consult your doctor and consider Omeprasole treatment instead of Librax. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.