Treatment for dry cough, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, pain in neck muscles and leakage of urine?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I have had throat problems lately, dry cough, stuffy nose after coughing so hard, horse voice & itchy eyes. My neck muscles hurt, swishing in the ears. Tired all the time,& light headed.
Did have a cat scan of my throat last year but when they discovered I was allergic to the IVP XXXXXXX they did the test without injecting the XXXXXXX They found a dark spot next to my trachea but my MD said since my throat showed no signs at the time of swelling I should not be concerned. My father had a goiter years ago that he said the doctor had popped, whatever that means. I do have trouble with allergies all year but never found out what is really causing it, dust, mold, etc. All of these symptoms have escalated this past year after having robotic surgery to remove adhesions from a hysterectomy. My stomach feels a lot better but now I have constipation and trouble with urine flow. I leak urine when I cough but never have a strong stream anymore. Sometimes I feel urine leak without any pressure to do so. After the robotic surgery I went for follow up tests & contacted a serious chest infection which led to the breathing problems. I have dry skin & my upper arms have broken out in acne. My OBGYN thought it was hormonal but the blood tests came back negative. I do take Estradiol .10 MG a day for menopause symptoms. My thyroid always comes back OK. Have had trouble with iron deficient anemia and had IV's since the pills made me so sick. I would like to get a proper diagnosis as I can not work under these conditions.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri Wahal 4 hours later

I will answer your queries one by one.
The first complaint is of dry cough, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and pain in neck muscles. These symptoms point towards a viral infection. Viral infections are usually complicated by superimposed bacterial infections. So, you should take rest, a cough syrup and anti-histaminic like loratidine.

The second problem you have mentioned is that of history familial thyroid disease.
You undergo regular thyroid tests. I think that is enough for this.

Thirdly, you are having urinary symptoms after a gynecological surgery.
There is leakage of urine after stress and it is called stress incontinence.
This is due to some kind of injury to the nerves in the pelvis during surgery. You should go for urodyanamic studies to exactly know the cause and to plan further management. You need to consult an urologist for that.

The chest infection after surgery is may be hospital acquired. You need a broad-spectrum antibiotic for that.

If you have more concerns, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal