Treatment for dementia

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
This is regarding my husband who is a U.S. Air Force Fighter Pilot and flew 100 combat missions in Viet Nam in one year. I believe his dementia is related to his occupation and would like to know if you can provide me with any information to verify my belief.There is an article in neurology online, August 20, 2013 talking about U2 pilots and dementia that might be helpful. There is also AN ARTICLE in the BMJ, the JAMA network in 2010 called "The clinical importance of white matter hyperintensities of brain magnetic resonance imaging: systematic review and meta-analysis review which links white matter to dementia and high altitudes to white matter.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Medications,hyperbaric oxygen and meditation Detailed Answer: Hi, Whatever changes have occurred in the brain cannot be reversed to absolute normalcy. However the remnant grey matter needs to be taken care off. Till date there are no authentic medications which can reverse the changes. But significant positive changes can develop with various therapies. 1. cerebral vasodilators like piracetam can improve the blood supply to the brain and thereby improve the functioning of the grey matter of the brain. 2. hyperbaric oxygen is another good remedy which has been proved to work well in trauma induced memory issues. 3. meditation if possible is the best. But this can be a viable option if the severity of dementia is not significant enough to alter the patient's activities of daily living. I hope this information is of help for your husband's problem. Regards