Treatment for dark, foul smelling, stringy stools after taking mild thistle?

General Surgeon
I have taken mild thistle and my poop has become dark smelly and stringy
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Side effect of Milk Thistle. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Milk Thistle increases bile secretion. Due to increased bile in the stool it becomes dark. It is known side effect of Milk Thistle. So as long as you do not have any blood in stool, mucus in stool, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, pale skin, weakness, no need to worry. Please also note that at your age you should have colonoscopy every 10 years to rule out colon cancer. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.