Treatment for cyst on penis and surrounding redness?

I had a small cyst on my penis. Besides my better judgment I picked at it and a scab formed. I put some clearsil acne medication on the scab because it seemed to be healing it quickly. This morning I woke up and the scab has turned a white color. The area around the scab is somewhat red. I realize this could be irritation, but I want to make sure its not infection. I have attached a photo.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello friend, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Charu. I have read your query and have seen the attached pics also. I will try my best to solve your query. It seems to be sebaceous cyst to me. From the pic, it does not appear to be infected. If it would have been infected, there must be dense erythema on and around the lesion with associated pain. Sometimes, discharge is also seen in infected lesion. So, the mild redness may be the part of irritation elicited while picking it up. If it hurts you or is bothersome, you can get it excised by a dermatologist/surgeon. So, you need not to worry. redness will subside in sometime. You may apply mupirocin cream 2 % twice daily over the lesion till the time you visit your doctor in person. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have further query, you may ask me. Thanx
Follow-up: Treatment for cyst on penis and surrounding redness? 2 hours later
The redness around the area is about quarter size. I don't have any pain. The white in the photo I think was left over acne medication. When I showered it came off to just show the small remaining scab. Just checking to make sure that amount of redness is normal? I think its harder to see in the pic it doesn't hurt to the touch Would this have anything to do with the application of acne medication? Is there anything I can do to reduce the redness?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome again. As per details, it still does not seem to be infected to me. As you said it is not painful neither discharging any pus. So, highly unlikely to be infectious. The redness will settle down with mupirocin 2 % cream as i mentioned already. you may apply this cream twice daily over the lesion for a week. You need not to worry about it. I hope i am able to solve your query now. If you have further query you may ask me. Else you may kindly close the discussion and rate it. Stay healthy.