Treatment for chest pain and difficulty swallowing?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
my mother is having pain in chest?? problem in swallowing food and water? her age is 49
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urgent ECG and endoscopy Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. I need to know more details about your condition to be better able to help you. How long is the problem? Is it acute meaning from just now or for many days? If the problem is for a few days or more without sweating, breathless or radiation of pain to left upper limb (arm), the problem is due to a condition called eosophagitis. The treatment to start would be to give her antacid liquid ( happicid / mucain gel) 3 teaspoonfull every 3 hours, Tablet ranitidine 150 mg twice daily/ pantoprazole 40 mg once daily. Cold liquids orally. This is all to start on an immediate basis. You should consult a Gastro-enterologist as soon as possible and go for an endoscopy and further management as per his guidance. Also needed is an earliest possible ECG to rule out cardiac problem. This is mandatory. I hope this answer satisfies your query. Dr Chandrakant

Follow-up: Treatment for chest pain and difficulty swallowing? 21 minutes later
the problem is from yesterday only and there is no such symptoms which you have mentioned like sweating, breathless or radiation of pain to left upper limb (arm). plz elaborate"Cold liquids orally" and plz suggest if there is any home remedy for it

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cold liquids like water and milk Detailed Answer: Hi again, Good to know your Mother has no other problems. Cold liquids means water and milk which are cold (not chilled) at a temperature which is cold to touch. I have already elaborated the treatment plan possible at home. Please follow it . The treatment to start would be to give her antacid liquid ( happicid / mucain gel) 3 teaspoonfull every 3 hours, Tablet ranitidine 150 mg twice daily/ pantoprazole 40 mg once daily. Cold liquids orally. This is all to start on an immediate basis. Regards Dr Chandrakant