Treatment for bone cyst involving distal end of radius bone

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Boy broke arm and then diagnosed with major bone cyst. Local doctors recommend emergency surgery in 4 weeks. They will clean the cyst and pack with bone / marrow from germany. Local doctor also said that the cyst has crossed the growth plate, so may permanently deform the child. We would like a 2nd opinion
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Your treating doctor is correct. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the xray picture attached with the query. Xray shows a bone cyst involving distal end of radius bone. Xray is not so clear to comment whether growth plate is involved or not. Your treating doctor is correct. It requires curettage( cleaning) of cyst and packing with bone graft. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Take care
Follow-up: Treatment for bone cyst involving distal end of radius bone 19 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, I can get a better photo of the xray so you can check the growth plate.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello, You are most welcome. Send me better x-rays, so that I can help you better. Wishing your son speedy recovery....