Treating aneurysm, bypass in iliac artery. Can both be done together ?

my doctor wants to repair XXXXXXX aneurysm and also do a bypass on my iliac artery at the same time do I have to do both
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Congenital Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Please provide some more info about your condition.

Where is the aneurysm?
What type of aneurysm is it?
Did he mention taking a graft from the XXXXXXX iliac artery?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Treating aneurysm, bypass in iliac artery. Can both be done together ? 20 hours later
The aneurysm is in the abdominal aorta
size about 4cm
my left primitive and external artery is thrmombosed
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

There are 2 ways of approach here.Either transabdominally or by endovascular stenting.Depending on the location and size of the aneurysm,your surgeon will discuss options with you.The repair can be done by using a graft or a bypass can be done especially if the aneurysm is too big and and other major vessels are thrombosed.This is done to avoid ischemia of the bowels.In you case I believe the bypass was mentioned because the external iliac is thrombosed.Its merely a method of surgery.Also the size of your aneurysm is pretty significant.Hence a bypass might be appropriate.

You can always ask your surgeon to explain the procedure to you.

Follow-up: Treating aneurysm, bypass in iliac artery. Can both be done together ? 12 minutes later
Are you saying that a graft will be put in the aneurysm and also a bypass done.
Or only one of the two. If its the bypass how sucessful are these. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Hi again,

If a major vessel is blocked then both may be done,but that depends on what the surgeon sees after opening up.The graft is done if there is a possibility of impending rupture.Your size is pretty big, and according to me, a rupture is possible.Usually dacron is used as a graft to repair the aneurysm.After that other major vessels should be checked for blockage because if they are blocked,it can lead to ischaemia.Hence the bypass is done.
I m sure you surgeon is covering all bases by mentioning the possibilites to you.You should talk to him and discuss these options because after all,he knows the case best XXXXXXX iliac bypass is created to remove ischemic complications in endovascular repair.The success rate is at least 50 % but it can be much more depending on age,medical history,lab test values,family history,co morbid factors etc.

Hope this helps.