Treated for flu. Getting sharp pain in armpit. Any risk of heart problem?

I have just had the flu, and am about over it. Have had heart issues in the past, but went recently and got an examination. All seemed good. This is the second day that I have had a pain in my left arm pit.
It begins, increases for about thirty seconds, and then suddenly dissipates to nothing. But then in a short time it begins again. Am concerned that it might be related to the heart. Being after the flu, have not a great deal of strength, but no other real symptoms. It is evening here, and will go to the doctor tomorrow. Am I in danger of heart problems?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 40 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not said of any characteristics of the pain – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, may radiate (referred) to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. It could be a pleural pain (covering of lung) - but they do not need immediate attention.

Any pain at this situation should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially with a history of previous disease and intervention. The presentation could be atypical, even misleading – at times, no pain! / Or pain felt only referred areas.

In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Treated for flu. Getting sharp pain in armpit. Any risk of heart problem? 7 hours later
It is three in the morning, and I just took two aspirins. The pain in the arm pit remains, coming and going. Can I wait until morning to go to the emergency room, or is it prudent to go ahead?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 minutes later

Good you have taken extra dose of aspirin - up to 300 mg in the day is OK.
You can also take extra clopidogrel (Plavix)

No harm in seeing a doctor - ECG and cardiac markers must be done. If normal, be happy; only some inconvenience...
Delay may be XXXXXXX
See the doctor NOW -

Good luck