Treated for fever and strep throat. Is haemoglobin - 124 and ferratin - 76 considered a normal value in 6 years old?

Hi, My son had a series of Anti biotics - Ciciliane - for strep throat/tonsilities- on meds for 1 month. He then developed a virus with high temps. All of this over 6 weeks. Better now. We had blood tests done during all of this. FBE - Haemoglobin is 124 and Ferratin is 76. Is that considered good iron levels in a 6 year old boy?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
I think the boy has made a good progress except for a bit lower Hb.
He would make it soon without treatment, just ensure he takes balanced diets with good intake of iron & protein containing foods like meat, jaggery/gur, pulses, groundnuts, fruits, whole grains etc.
His Ferritin level is normal, hemoglobin level is a bit low due to the recent illness, I think he would make it soon, Usual Hb level in male is 130 to 150.
He is susceptible for viral infections so he should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after he takes anything orally.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!