Tooth ache, bloating, diarrhea, light headed when standing up. No chest pain or shortness of breath. Want advice

Hi there-
I have been out of town for over a week and I just talked to my dad (who is at home) and he said he hasnt been feeling well for 3-4 days. My dad never complains about not feeling well, and when he is sick he never makes a big deal about it, however I sense he feels really bad.
When I asked what type of symptoms I didnt like what I heard. He said it all started w/ a tooth ache, then he threw up a couple of times, he feels bloated, has diahrrea and is light headed when stands up.

I googled his symptoms and read about a few possible signs or symptoms including a tooth abscest & heart attack. He said he does NOT have shortness of bresth and hasnt had any chest pain.

Just wanted to get any advice you may have.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Yes, one of your considered possibility could be the true here.

Tooth abscess or bacteria from actively decaying can cause infection in the stomach.Such infections though cause symptoms are milder and do not cause any serious complications.

Need not worry, ask him to take juices and oral rehydration solutions like tender coconut water, butter milk etc.

Also there may be need for antibiotics to heal the infection completely.A consultation with his regular GP would suffice for the same.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Tooth ache, bloating, diarrhea, light headed when standing up. No chest pain or shortness of breath. Want advice 2 hours later
Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
Are there steps we can/should take as a precautionary to rule out any heart attack symptoms. Are there any specific tests we should ask to have run?
Also can they test to confirm a specific infection if that happens to be what is causing the symptoms?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, a test called "Treadmill test(TMT)" is one of the best test to ascertain silent heart problems.

Stool culture and sensitivity test can help to isolate the bacteria causing the infection.Also the test gives a list of antibiotics which works better on the isolated bacteria.

Wish you good health.