Took regestrone to prepone period. Had unprotected sex after getting period. Chances of conceiving?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
my cycle is usually 30-33 days. i got my periods in march around 9th march.since i was experiencing lot of pms and wanted to go on a holiday i was prescribed regestrone 5mg to prepone my periods.i got my period on 6th april 2013. i am worried because we did not use any precaution on 12th April. are there any chances of conceiving? what can i do now?i am very anxious.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
In case of 30 to 33 days cycle, ovulation may not occur on around 6th day of cycle usually.
So the chances of pregnancy are less.
If you want to eliminate the minimal possible risk also and if the act occurred within past 72 hours, you can take one emergency pill.
If already 72 hours over form the time of intercourse, the emergency pill may not work.
But don't worry, as the chances of pregnancy are less.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took regestrone to prepone period. Had unprotected sex after getting period. Chances of conceiving? 4 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for answering my question. I am now getting some white discharge.Is is possible that it is ovulation.Can I ovulate so soon?Also will taking regestrone last time affect this cycle in anyway?Plrease also refer last question

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later

As you disturbed the regular cycle by taking tablets, now it is little bit difficult to guess the exact time of ovulation.
You can go for ovulation kit to decide the ovulatory period in this cycle.
By taking regesterone you induced withdrawal bleeding. By this the normal rhythm of ovulation, menstruation and hormonal levels will become disturbed and may take some time for regularization.
Now as I told previously you can go for emergency pill or you wait till your expected date of periods and if you miss the periods go for pregnancy test.
Then depending on the result you can proceed further.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Took regestrone to prepone period. Had unprotected sex after getting period. Chances of conceiving? 18 minutes later
Will ovulation kit tell me if I am ovulating or not? How to use this i-sure in the market?is it available in regular pharmacy? please just tell me should i worry in this case or not worry...as i am a working woman i dont want this to disturb my routine.so can you just put my fears to rest?should i try to find out more or leave it like it?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later
Yes, ovulation kit will tell the fertile days in the cycle means the ovulatory period.
It should be used as home pregnancy kit only and it will be usually available in regular pharmacies.
The chances of pregnancy are very less in your case according to the history, so no need to worry.
You leave the thing till your expected date of periods as I told previously.