Took pregnancy test when four weeks and 3 days from last period. Consumed alcohol till then. Fetal alcohol syndrome?

My question is about fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) or fetal alcohol effects (FAE) in a developing baby. I drank daily (2 to 3 drinks per day) and had two occasions of binge drinking (1 bottle to 2 bottles of wine by myself in one night) in the two weeks and three days from conception until I took a pregnancy test and realized that I was pregnant. (I was four weeks and 3 days from my last period when I took the pregnancy test.)

I am concerned about moderate daily and occasional binge or heavy drinking during the early weeks (i.e. first two to two-and-a-half weeks) of pregnancy, following conception. In particular, I am wondering what is the likelihood that my child will have FAS, including the facial malformations and developmental delays associated with FAS?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 18 minutes later

I can feel your concerns.

The chances of facial malformation , developmental delay and mental retardation are quite high in fetal alcohol syndrome .

Alcohol has toxic effects on the developing fetus and can also cause growth restriction in fetal life.

More than 35 percent mothers have chance to have a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome.

You should have regular visits to your gynecologist along with anomaly scan and if some abnormality is detected then termination of pregnancy is an option.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Took pregnancy test when four weeks and 3 days from last period. Consumed alcohol till then. Fetal alcohol syndrome? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response, but I am hoping to get a more specific opinion about the risks in my child's presentation, with my drinking heavily in early pregnancy (in the first two weeks or so after conception).

I have read that generally speaking the risks of physical malformation and mental retardation are high among children who do have fetal alcohol syndrome.

What I am trying to assess is the likelihood that my child will have fetal alcohol damage.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your followup

Actually the risks for fetal alcohol syndrome increases when you use alcohol early in the pregnancy.
This is the period of organ development , baby can have facial malformations as coarse facial features , broad nose and ear , depressed nasal bridge and down set ears along with short stature and low birth weight.

The frequency of having mental retardation is dangerously high and is more troublesome.
But its not always the rule that every child would have this disease.

For that you have to regularly do the anomaly scan throughout the pregnancy for earlier recognition .

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health