Took plan B, had moderate to heavy bleeding that came around periods. Was that withdrawal bleeding or period?

I took plan B had bleeding one week later that lasted for five days and was moderate to heavy. It came around the time that I expected my next period to come. Was that a withdrawal bleed or my period%3F Could I still be pregnant%3F
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
HiXXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Since you had bleeding for 5 days at expected date and also had protective drug Plan B one week before your regular period (safe period) the chance of being pregnant is nil.

Plan B can prevent or delay ovulation or it may interfere with fertilization of an egg. So the bleeding is your regular period.

For confirmation you can get done one UPT done at your home.

I advice you to take precautionary measures like using condoms during sex. You can prevent other STDs also. Don't take Plan B as your main form of birth control and it does not protect you against sexually transmitted diseases. Think it as a backup.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Took plan B, had moderate to heavy bleeding that came around periods. Was that withdrawal bleeding or period? 17 minutes later
If I took a pregnancy test now would I get an accurate result%3F I have unprotected sex exactly two weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for the follow up question.

Since you had your regular period at the exact date of your cycle the chance of pregnanacy is nil.

Urine pregnancy tests will give you accurate results if you test at around the time your period, that is 14 days from oulation. This test is based on the HCG level in urine which will increase in pregnancy.

I prefer UPT after 5-6 days of missed period for accurate results. But if pregnant the test will show positive after 14 days.

Hope I clarified your query and explained how it works. If you have any further query kindly let me know, I will be happy to answer that.

Wish you good health.