Took penicillin for strep throat. Feeling swallowing discomfort in chest and back pain. What to do?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX i was diagnosed with strep throat on 11-15-12, i took penincilin for the infection aling with ibuprofen for pain eventhough i did not feel any pain, just a discomfort swallowing. During the the treatment i was feeling chest pain, upper back pain( aroun lung area) and airware. Today is the 12-16-12, about two weeks ago i was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection, i have been doing resear h online and i am very concern about it being any kind of cancer. I am currently sitting in the emergency room, because of numbness or stiffness on jaw line, under chin,neck, forehead, and sone soreness on tongue. I am very scared. Please give me some answers?
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Vikas Ostwal 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX as per your description, it looks like you had some viral throat infection. Your jaw stiffness or numbness can be possibly post infection thing or due to some calcium deficiency. Symptoms described by you does not suggest any possibility of cancer. Anyways a good clinical examination by your doctor will certainly rule out possibility of cancer. Don't worry and take care.
Follow-up: Took penicillin for strep throat. Feeling swallowing discomfort in chest and back pain. What to do? 23 hours later
Basically, if I had a strep throat about a month ago, and that followed by a viral respiratory infection. which was diagnosed at the emergency room. Then I shouldn't worry about a cancer possibility? For these reasons of numbness,and chest pain and upper back pain I had a CT scan of my head, an x-Ray of my chest. This was in the month of november, when I had the strep. during that time I started thinking what if I have throat cancer, I don't smoke, or drink alcohol. maybe occasionally like an event or holiday. I also eat a balanced meal. I also been thinking oral cancer, because of the numbness in jaw line and stiffness in my neck. I also went to the dentist, and had an x-Ray done of my teeth, hopefully I wasn't exposed to so much radiation. since I hardly go to the dentist only every two or three years. the doctor who saw me was a oral surgeon, he looked at my x-Ray an saw no abnormalities. I have an appointment in January to see a general dentist. I think I might be going threw an anxiety attack or panic attack, after I got sick. my doctor whom is
a specialist, does not seem concern that it is a cancer. So she won't refer me to an ENT.. Would it be a bad idea to see one?is a biopsy but me at risk, if I wanted to have one?.. my head is all over the place.. I was also at the E.R yesterday because of the numbness, I had blood test done for electrolyte and a regular blood count, they came back fine. The doctor said, I have a peripheral nervous disorder, is that a disease? and suggested that my doctor refer me to a neurologist? What steps should I take.. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vikas Ostwal 11 hours later

I feel you are getting nervous and panic. See, most important signs and symptoms of cancer have been ruled out. Pain , numbness and heaviness are not at all suggestive of cancer when there is no obvious ulcer and CT scan is normal.

We can't do anything to prevent cancer occurrence, most important is to follow up closely with your doctor every three monthly. Again, I feel you should see a neurologist for the numbness and get it sorted.

Feel Free to revert and take care.