Took paxil for anxiety disorder. Had unprotected sex. Missing period and feeling tired. Concerned

Hello, I am 32 yo female, 5"8 140 lbs. medical history of anxiety disorder controlled by Paxil. I am one week late on menstrual cycle and have always been very regular. Had incident of unprotected intercouse. Took a few tests at day 3 and 6 of missed period and were negative. Just had annual pap last month and everything was good. Am extremely tired, what other medical conditions could cause this? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 39 minutes later

The risk of contracting pregnancy due to the unprotected intercourse you had during the past cycle depends on the timing. If it was around mid-cycle, when there is no contraception and when ovulation usually occurs, then it is risky. Otherwise there is not much to worry.

Urine pregnancy tests may not give a positive result soon after a missed period as they are not so sensitive to read the low levels of beta-hCG. Instead, you can get a blood test done for beta-hCG levels. They start giving a positive result as early as 3 weeks after the missed period and with low levels of the hormone.

You should consult your gynecologist for an evaluation and you may also need a sonogram. If pregnancy is diagnosed, your doctor would decide on continuing the present medications or change them as the situation demands.

If you are still on Paroxetine, the tiredness you are experiencing could be a side-effect of this drug also. In fact, Paroxetine is better stopped when contemplating pregnancy as studies have shown birth defects.

Tiredness may be a part of many conditions; be it anemia, hypoglycemia, early pregnancy, hypothyroidism, infections and so on. Pertaining to your case, it is most likely that you are pregnant.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.