Took off Nuvigil. Get migraines. Taking Pristiq and Abilify. What is the best treatment?

Psychiatrist
Question
Small matter, The Phsychciatrist took me off Nuvigil and now I'm getting migrains. What the best stuff for migrains? Right now I'm taking Pristiq and Abilify. I'll have my next appoint with the Phychiatrist soon and will get his prescription. I've had migrain before so I know I've got one now so he'll put me on something untill he get something that prevents them.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some clarifications required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way.

1. Why Nuvigil was removed. Did you have any problems
2. How is your response on pristiq
3. Will it be possible for you to explain how your headache is?

Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Regards and wish you good health,

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Took off Nuvigil. Get migraines. Taking Pristiq and Abilify. What is the best treatment? 22 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX The Nuvigil was removed because it was causing diahria and depression in the mornings. The psychiatrist has since told me it had nothing to do with the migrains. Do you agree? I know he is a good doctor I've gone to him 10years. The Pristiq works well. Since I have taken it I've had a lot of improvement with the depression. I'm still taking it. The headache lasted 12 hours last time with throwing up eveything including water for the last 4 hours. The vomit included a yellow bile. I remember from having migrains that a neurologist diagnosed that that was a good indicator. These started with a long headache a few weeks after I stopped the Nuvigil. Then I had one that lasted the 12 hours on oct 1.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are not on any migraine drugs as of now

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

You are quite sure that you have migrains. However none of the medications that you have stated are used in migraine.

The clasic drugs for migraine are sumatriptan during the headache along with the painkillers.

And for prophylaxis/ prevention propranolol or divalproex sodium are used.

The medications that you are on suggests that you doctor feels its a tension headache. If these druhs are not working rhn amitryptiline is a good option for tension headaches

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.