Took meth injection in hand. Have swelling and redness. Gave penicillin shot. What else?

General Surgeon
Question
my brother has a huge miss from meth injection in his hand, It is swollen and red, looks terrible, i don't think I can get him to a doctor but I am giving him penicillin shots what else can I do? how much penicillin do I give a 220pd man its norocillin injectable 300,000 units per ml
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This looks like an infection of this area. Especially if it gives lot of pain. The soft tissues are swollen and compressed. The best way to treat it would be an incisions, which can decrease tissues compressions.
If surgeons visit is impossible, you should give him an antibiotic. The best one for it is Clindamycine 300mg 3x1 with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclophenac 75 mg twice a day). If the norocillin is the only available antibiotic, the dosage is 600 000 units twice a day (2 ml twice a day).
The hand should be also put above the heart level so the swelling can easier go away.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Took meth injection in hand. Have swelling and redness. Gave penicillin shot. What else? 17 minutes later
should he be using heat? like a heating pad or soaking it in hot/warm water? or is ice better?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later
Hello!

Ice will be better, but not directly to the skin. It should be put through the towel for example. And should not be used longer than 15 minutes. Such cold compresses can be used about 6 times a day.
The most important is antibiotic and elevated position.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Took meth injection in hand. Have swelling and redness. Gave penicillin shot. What else? 28 minutes later
last question, how long does he take the antibiotic?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Antibiotic should be taken at least 7 days. During that time you should see an improvement. If no improvement, there wont be any other option than doctor visit.

Hope this will help.
Regards.