Took medicine for pin-worms. Itching reduces but still passing worm in stool. Effective medicine?

Question
I have known I've had pinworms (gotten from my 6 yr old) since March 1st. I've taken pin x once a week since I found out. My itchiness has gotten a bit better, but I'm still passing worms in my stool? I've followed all hygiene directions and don't understand why I am still passing them. Do I need a stronger prescription?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

It is a good sign to pass the worms. This means that the worms are being killed by the medication and are being expelled in the feces.

If you do not pass the worms, which indicates live worms inside which may multiply and worsen the problem.

Do continue the same dosage of the medication you are on.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Took medicine for pin-worms. Itching reduces but still passing worm in stool. Effective medicine? 38 minutes later
But how long should I be passing them? I've been passin them since I started the medication on march 1st

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

With heavy infestation it can be considered normal for one to pass worms for a period of a month or two after taking medications.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Took medicine for pin-worms. Itching reduces but still passing worm in stool. Effective medicine? 7 minutes later
If THe itching comes back should I then seek medical attention?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, itching is a sign of the larvae and indicate active infection. It is then you have to consult the doctor to get the dosage revised.