Took lazine syrup for runny nose. Started coughing. Which medicine should I give?

My daughter 2.10 years was having running nose from past two days and we gave her lazine syrup, today she is coughing also. Last 15 days back she was having congestion along with cold, cough and mild fever, she was prescribed bicarex, lazine and other antibiotics for congestion by peadiatrician. In between she was fine for 10 days and now again she has running nose and cough. what is the medicine i should be giving. Should i give expectorant cough syrup or suppressant. Please guide me
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Was chest xray done for this?

Is she having excess mucus coming out of nose when she coughs? If yes, what is it's color? or is it dry cough?

Did she had fever last time?

Please provide details so that I can answer.Regards.

Follow-up: Took lazine syrup for runny nose. Started coughing. Which medicine should I give? 3 hours later
Thanks doctor,

Last time around 20 days back she was having chest congestion, so pediatrician gave her antibotics syp. MEGA CV along with bicarex-A , syp.Lazine and syp.Flexon for cough , cold and fever respectively. those medicines were followed for 1 week. Later she was normal. No mucus comes when she coughs.
she has running nose with mucus in white color. Yes last time she had mild fever around 99 to 100 Faranheit last time(20 days back) now she doesent have any fever.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for providing additional details,

An expectorant would be more ideal in this situation. It is good to know that she is not running fever this time around. Seek medical attention if she develops fever.

I am not sure if your daughter is able to inhale steam. If she can try steam inhalation as well .Personally I prefer only steam inhalation if the mucus is minimal and there is no change in breathing sounds.

Clean the nose frequently and ask her to spit out mucus every-time she coughs. Milk with turmeric powder can also help.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any other concerns.