Took injection of magnesium. Having anxiety for full day. Side effect?

Aug 2012

I was given an injection of Magnesium yesterday because my doctor thought I was low. 1.6 Then he told me to take 600 mg/day of Magnesium Potassium Aspartate and 500 MG of Magnesium Citrate per day. As soon as I got the injection I became irritable and was flushing and somewhat anxious all day. Then today it was not as bad but it was noticeable. Is that too much magnesium? Also are those common symptoms to have? I am extremely sensitive to medication so I am thinking I should start lower and take just one kind. The doctor is a hormone specialist, not my PCP.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 57 minutes later
Hi there.

Yes the symptoms are known to be caused by magnesium injections and you seem to have tolerated them well as you have mentioned you are not as bad today.
In general this medication does not have that 'sensitivity' issue where you are required to start a lower dose to build up your tolerability.
If symtpoms are are making your routine really disturbed, you feel alarmingly drowsy or excessively anxious everyday then better discuss the matter with your Endocrinologist as he/she would also check if you are suffering from low calcium levels. Concomitant low calcium levels make if difficult to tolerate magnesium doses given suddenly.
You can also discuss with your doctor if your hypo-magnesemia can be treated with increasing oral intake of magnesium XXXXXXX foods. Sometimes it is not possible as magnesium does not get absorbed well and it has to be taken by injectables only. Given the history of lupus and hypothyroidism it is possible you may need only injectables.
In short, wait and see the pattern of your symptoms and if they are bothering your physical condition and daily routine, please inform your doctor ASAP.
I hope you got the answer. Please get back for any related query. Take care.