Took home fertility test, stated high fsh levels. Due to smoking marijuana?

Can smoking marijuana affect fsh levels? I am 38 and recently took a home fertility test which tested fsh levels on the 3rd day of my cycle. The results said the fsh was high. I am not a regular smoker, but smoked within 3 day of taking the test. Is it possible this caused the test result?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Radhika 56 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

There is a possibility that FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone) rises with intake of Marijuana. That might be the reason the test showed increased results.

Women who smoke marijuana may have a slightly increased risk of infertility due to an ovulatory abnormality, which was shown in a case control study of female recreation drug users with primary infertility.

Marijuana has been shown to disrupt the normal ovulatory cycle and hormonal secretion in humans. Marijuana and other cannabinoids acutely alter hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) integrity and affect reproductive function by acting at the hypothalamus either directly through GnRH (Gonadotropin releasing hormone) or indirectly through other modulators, thus increasing FSH levels.

Follicle Stimulating Hormone, commonly referred to as FSH, is a hormone that can directly influence your chances of conceiving and/or sustaining pregnancy. When FSH levels are too high or too low, becoming pregnant can become much more difficult as it affects your menstrual cycle and whether or not you ovulate.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.