Took flu shot. Having severe chills and shakes. Could this be due to some food poisoning or flu shot?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Yesterday at 8:30 am I had my annual physical with my doctor of 30+ years. The results of the lab blood tests taken two days previously were practically perfect, there were only 3 "flags", for minor elevations beyond normal. Since my blood pressure was 150, my doctor recommended I continue taking a diuretic, keep on my DASH diet, and lose 5 more pounds. I lost 10 lbs this past year and when I take my daily blood pressure at home, I am usually around 130. The nurse gave me a flu shot, I returned home and had some roast XXXXXXX breast, took my normal 1 to 2pm nap and woke up with severe chills and shakes, unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I spent the rest of the under heavy covers, did not eat any supper, drank lots of hot water, went to bed at 9 pm. I woke up today at 6 am feeling totally normal and took my dog for her daily hour long walk. The nurse told that the flu shot would not cause any problems, so I assume I must have had food poisoning from the XXXXXXX I bought the XXXXXXX from Costco about 3 days earlier and it was pre-roasted and in a sealed plastic bag.
Is food poisoning the only logical diagnosis? I'm going to throw out the rest of the XXXXXXX unless you have some other explanation. Does the flu shot affect some very, very, small percentage of people with chills & shakes? Could it have been some sort of 12 hour flu?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably related to the flu shot.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Your symptoms were most likely related to the flu shot. Serious complications are rare. However, it is recognised that some people may suffer a short episode of aching muscles and a fever. You took the correct actions.
It is unlikely to be food poisoning as your illness would have probably been more severe with a stomach upset, nausea and vomiting and lasted longer. I suggest you do not need to dispose of the XXXXXXX providing it is still in date.
I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,