Took emergency contraceptive after unprotected sex. Feeling dizzy and nausea. Chances of pregnancy?

Hi, I took the emergency contraceptive Postinor-1 3 days ago, and again 2 days ago. They were taken 12 hours after unprotected sex/ broken condom. Since taking it I have had mild nausea but constant dizzy spells which are tolerable. I had a blood test within the last hour to test for pregnancy as I am concerned of the efficiency of Postinor-1. I am on no other oral contraceptive. My blood test results will not be available to me for two days.
What is the the likelihood that I have conceived. I am concerned because I've read it is only 84% reliable and because it was taken due to two separate occasions of unprotected sex in two days.
If my results are positive for pregnancy, what are my options?
Thank you for your response,
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
The emergency contraceptive that you have taken is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours. Since you have taken the pill within 24 hours, the chances of pregnancy are minimal.
The symptoms that you are having are due to the pill you have taken and are not due to a pregnancy.
The blood test for pregnancy can detect a pregnancy at least 10 days after an unprotected sex. Right now it is too early to expect a positive result even if the pregnancy is there.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Took emergency contraceptive after unprotected sex. Feeling dizzy and nausea. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thank you kindly for your response.
My local doctor was sure that a blood test would detect pregnancy because it has been 3 weeks since my last period and I would have already ovulated. I was unsure if this was true, however you are saying that a blood test could not detect pregnancy at least 10 days after unprotected sex?
Could you please clarify this?

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The pregnancy can be detected at 10 days after ovulation by a blood test. The earlier you do the test, more are the chances of getting a false negative result. Since the date of ovulation is not always fixed, so it is better to check the urine or blood for pregnancy 10 days after the unprotected sex so that we can detect the pregnancy if the ovulation occurred around the time of sex. If you get your normal periods prior to that, then pregnancy is ruled out.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.