Took antibiotics for a tooth abscess. Having soreness and pain in neck. What to do?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I recently went to a doctor and finished a round of antibiotics for a tooth abscess and for what he said was Sinusitis and pharyngitis (he felt my neck and said I was a little swollen). I had no pain in my neck at that time. I just finished my antibiotics within the last week and now I have a very sore spot (nothing on the outside, it's internal) in my neck that is very tender to the touch. I cannot tell if it is swollen or not. It is pretty painful and this weekend it felt like just a sore strained neck muscle until this morning. Should I go back for more antibiotics or give it some time? The neck soreness presented itself about two days ago.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 42 minutes later

Soreness or pain in the throat / neck is usually due to inflammation or congestion in the throat. The following methods will help you in reducing the pain:-
1. Gargle with warm saline water or with Betadine gargle solution.
2. Suck cough lozenges.
3. Avoid cold and spicy foods or drinks.
4. Mild pain can be relieved by taking Paracetamol 500 mg or if the pain is severe, pain killers like Ibuprofen will help.
5. Drinking ginger tea will have soothing effect.
6. In addition antihistamine drugs have beneficial effects. You may take them.

If the above measures do not help much, then a physical consultation with specialist (ENT) is needed. A throat swab culture test is in order.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.