Took antibiotic after tooth extraction. All medical test normal. Why do I feel like earthquake in body?

Since April/May 2012 I have had feelings like an earthquake in my body that noone else in the room felt. It is not tremors or vibrations. It feels like a jump that moves around in my legs, buttocks and back. Doesn't matter what position I am in. I had a tooth pulled and took many antibiotics at the time they started. I have had many tests done and all is coming back normal and very good, except for a neurologist, which I will see Feb. 1013. Sometimes it is very mild, sometimes strong and it is usually at random times...not associated with any particular position except sitting.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 16 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with strange symptoms in the body. This jumping sensation that you are describing is typical of restlessness associated with anxiety disorders. A variety of anxiety disorders like generalised anxiety disorder may manifest with such symptoms. The other alternatives could be muscle twitches/fasciculations that could be normal phenomenon also. It has nothing to do with your tooth problem or antibiotic intake. I suggest both a psychiatric and neurological work up after adequate examination. Kindly clarify anything else you may wish to.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Took antibiotic after tooth extraction. All medical test normal. Why do I feel like earthquake in body? 9 hours later
I am surprised at the anxiety diagnosis. I am single, no children, live in a wonderful very safe neighborhood, have several close friends and good relationships, am retired and have PLENTY of money so have pretty much nothing to worry about. The reason I included the tooth was because when it was pulled the dentist when numbing up the left side, hit a nerve that literally made me jump out of the chair, tears rolling down my cheek and the needle still stuck in my jaw. Ever since then, I cannot touch that side of my face, right in front of the left ear without a lot of pain and then the whole left side of my head and face hurt for hours. I had 2 follow up visits with the same dentist that went without incident. I am known to my friends as a calm, intelligent, organized, energetic and creative person. I have been practising meditation for the last 4 years, mainly for "spiritual" reasons. The only other symptom that began in November 2012 is a feeling of light-headedness and imbalance that also occurs randomly during the day. I have seen an ear,nose and throat physician and was told it was not related to my ears.
I would prefer to not have to take Valium or drugs of that nature and have recently made an appointment to begin Bio-feedback. My appointment with the neurologist is Feb. 19 so I may find out more through them.
Thank you for responding so quickly and I will certainly look into your diagnosis.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 6 minutes later
It is heartening to know you practice meditation. Of course it is possible that on a thorough neurological examination, some signs may emerge that may clinch the diagnosis. However, if the neurological examination turns out to be normal, i would suggest you look into what i suggested since on occasions the roots of an anxiety disorder may lie in the unconcious. Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Took antibiotic after tooth extraction. All medical test normal. Why do I feel like earthquake in body? 29 hours later
Thank you so much! I do understand about anxiety disorder laying in the unconscious. After the neurological exam, I will certainly know more and either way will begin working on it. Again, thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 hours later
Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar