Took TT shot after dog bite. Should I take any other infection?

Sep 2012

hello doctor.... i have got bitten by my 1 yr old dog about 2-3 times nd tat area became greenish nd went off aft sum time....i was bitten even yest but tuk a TT der any risk 4 my health ???? shd i take any other injection other than TT ??
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly, here is 2 questions for you.
1. Is your dog immunized with proper anti rabies vaccines?
2. Is your dog is in regular check up with a veterinary doctor?

If your answers are 'YES' then you need not to take any thing. TT is enough for you.

If, the answers are 'NO', then you should take it seriously.
As the dog is your pet dog, you have keep watch on your dog. If your dog develops any abnormality ( like wondering about, fear from water, death) within 10 days from the day of bite, then you have to take a course of post exposure prophylaxis.

According to WHO, the categorization of wound is like following
Category I – Touching or feeding animals, licks on the skin.
Category II - Nibbling of uncovered skin, minor scratches or abrasions without bleeding, licks on broken skin.
Category III – Single or multiple transdermal bites or scratches, contamination of mucous membrane with saliva from licks.
For category I, you need nothing except a thorough washing and flushing using water and soap.
For category II, you need Post exposure prophylaxis after a thorough washing and flushing by soap and water.
For category III, you need combination of post exposure prophylaxis, anti rabies immunoglobulin after a thorough washing and flushing with soap water.

Depending on vaccine type, the post-exposure schedule consists of intramuscular doses of 1 ml or 0.5 ml given as four to five doses over four weeks.

Summary : If your dog is not immunized or not on regular check up, then there is definite risk for your health. Apart from TT, you have to take post exposure prophylaxis by anti rabies vaccine. Consult with a general physician for clinical examination, categorization of the wound, and for choosing appropriate management accordingly.
If you dog does not develop any abnormality, you can stop taking post exposure prophylaxis.

Hope this information suffices. let me know if you have any more question.