Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooh extracted and wearing essix retainer. Will this affect future bone grafts and implant?

Question about bone grafts after an extracted tooth and wearing an essix retainer, not wearing it for the first 2 weeks so the tissue isn't supported. Even if I wear the essix now, it's been grinded down to not apply pressure, so there's not much support it can do. How will this affect future bone grafts and implant? The surgeon said something about the tissue closing in. He meant for me to wear the essix the whole time (tooth bonded into retainer) to support the tissue. It was uncomfortable and painful to put in, and he never told me that's what it was for, I thought it was purely for esthetics. So, I didn't wear it. Now, 2 weeks later I have a checkup, he tells me this but doesn't explain what that means for me, how it will affect my healing, or future implant. Just said to XXXXXXX him again in 2 months to see how things are going and to wear the essix, even though he admitted that there might not be much tissue supporting now that it's been grinded down and the area has healed up more, so it's mostly just for esthetics now... so why should I continue to wear it if it's uncomfortable and affects my speech more than I'd like? I work with people a lot at my job, so I'm not comfortable with the speech impediment.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. I am pleased to answer your questions.

Essix is usually meant for enhancing wound healing in extraction socket area. This retainer aims in esthetics and temporary retention. It prevents alveolar ridge resorption to certain extent.

Since tissue closing has done perfectly, it should not matter much now. Visit your dentist soon to get it replaced with implants.

Meanwhile massage the area using fingers to check for irregular bony specules. If present the final treatment plan can be advised as per clinical examination.

Please follow up with your dentist.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have other concerns.